Monday, March 10

Storm Warning

Last week I found myself in London with my husband viewing the Vanity Fair exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery.

It was more or less how I expected it would be - lots of very artful glamorous photos of the rich and famous. The photo I found the most fascinating was of Gertrude Stein taken by Man Ray…. Probably not for the right reasons I might add.
Her matronly bosom does indeed come right down to her waist….. and she is absolutely devoid of any feminine grooming .

When I got home I Googled her as although I knew a bit about her I didn’t know much….. an American writer who spent most of her life in France, and who became a catalyst in the development of modern art and literature.
Today a photo like this would never be published – she may have been a lesbian, obviously not the lipstick variety but still this unflattering image would not fit in with how everyone is made over.
I wonder when we stopped seeing real people in magazines?

Louise Brooks....with that hair cut
As I have been told by almost everyone on TV not to leave my house Harry and I are not having any walkies today. I found my fierce beast of a dog cowering under the table this morning because the blinds were flapping about so I feel he’s OK about it too.
I did make it to my front bird table to deposit emergency supplies for all my feathered friends so between squalls they can fill up on seed, suet, bread and sultanas.

7 comments:

  1. Hope the weather isn't battering you too much? I watched Louise Brooks in a silent movie (on DVD of course!) a few months back with a friend, it was wonderful. As you say everything was real back then.

    L x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:10 PM

    A little known fact (maybe not) starlets were having plastic surgery in the 20's and probably even before. But wouldn't it be lovely(?) to see real pictures of ladies again - with floor sweeping bosoms and stern brows....could we handle it? Not if the outing of celeb cellulite is anything to go by in gossip mags. Give me a grumpy lookin lesbian over Paris Hilton any day! The Neighbour

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whipping up a storm here too...I've got to work in it tonight :(
    Adore that top picture. Wanted to go to that exibition when I was up there, but didn't think I'd enjoy it very much with a bored toddler!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do get some "real people" out there - often elderly though - Doris Lessing tends to be allowed to be a grande dame. Gertrude Stein had enough money to be able to look exactly as she wanted. Her lover, Alice B Toklas, has a very good recipe for hash brownies in a book she wrote - not sure they are gluten free though.
    I am in Woman & Home this month in my greenhouse and there is something odd about the photo- it is a lovely photo but I have a suspicion that I've been airbrushed.
    J
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. i had a housemistress who looked a bit like gertrude...well definitely in the bosom department anyway! she was called maisie scarborough. very ruddy cheeks. frizzy hair. no make-up. no husband. very jolly + never to be forgotten.

    great photos. it looks like an exhibition worth the visit.

    take good care down there in the storm!! ours wasn't too bad. glad you + harry didn't venture far yesterday. xxx

    p.s. if only my fringe would sit like louise's! now pinned back + being grown out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have loved to see that exhibit. People come in all shapes and sizes - I definitely wish we could see more of that in the media.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:48 PM

    Have you been to Farley Farm in East Sussex? It's where Man Ray lived. Very inspiring ...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment - I will reply within comments but you can always email me should you wish to keep it private.